photo

photo

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Four Months and a Day


Four months ago you were terrified and angry with the way your world had just been turned upside down. 

Today you spent the whole day laughing and playing games with your Daddy- who  you have already figured out is the fun parent. 

Four months ago you were spitting your food on the floor and throwing eggs across the lobby of our five star hotel. 

Today you only wanted to eat the meatballs in your spaghetti. I swear you ate at least ten. "Meatbops! Meatbops! More meatbops, please."   Then you did a little dance and ran to the door when we said it was time to go get ice cream. "I-ceem! I-ceem! Yes!"

Four months ago you would have nothing to do with your sweet Nanny who flew all the way across the world just to meet you and you refused to even be in the same room if you heard Papa's voice on Face Time. 

Today you couldn't wait to Face Time Papa and tell him "Happy Birday!" And as soon as you saw him on the screen you said, "Papa! Where's Nanny?"  You wouldn't even let your brother hold the phone because you don't share well right now, especially when it comes to grandparents. 

Four months ago you tolerated your brother and sister but just barely and as long as they didn't come near your toys or your food. 

Today I heard you tell your brother, "Comeeer...let's play!" You also know that your sister is the one who is most wrapped around your finger. She is pretty much at your beck and call and if you want it done, you ask her. "Cammy! Put Belle in crate!" (Because you simply cannot tolerate Belle being within 10 feet of you while you are eating a snack.)

Four months ago you cried yourself to sleep for hours. It still breaks my heart to remember the way you called for your Nai Nai that first night. 

Tonight you snuggled close while we read our bedtime books and you tried to read along.  "Goodnight three little bears.... mittens... kittens... moon....stars...Hush!!"  You smiled when I put you in your crib because you love to go to bed now. That is a miracle of no small significance. 

Four months ago I was the only person in your world who you would let hold, carry, feed, bathe, or change you. I loved doing all of those things, but let's not pretend it wasn't hard. 

Today you love your babysitters. And let's not pretend that isn't the best thing ever! Your Daddy and I can go on a date and you laugh and play and have a blast while we are gone. But as soon as I get home and scoop you up into my arms, you turn to your babysitter and say, "Bye-bye Rachels! See ya later, Annies!"  The fact that you put an "s" at the end of everyone's names is hilarious, but more than that, you have figured out that Mommy is Mommy and other people may be fun to play with for a little while- but they better not stay one second longer than they need to after Mommy gets home. 

Four months ago I was terrified just as much as you were. I loved you but I didn't know you. 

Today I realized that you will never stop surprising me with something new about yourself. You can spend hours doing puzzles. A new thing that I love but also loathe because here is something you should know- your Mommy has serious ADD. Sitting on the floor for any length of time doing puzzles is torture. But I have learned in these four months that I will do anything for you- except maybe puzzles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment